April 2018 Newsletter
Exams are upon us!
From mentoring to TEDx, from Sci-Fi to an art auction, there is lots to read about this month
Only 7 One Degree sessions left
Mentors needed for sessions 15 – 21
15. 28 April 2018 – English
16. 5 May 2018 – Maths
17. 12 May 2018 – English
18. 19 May 2018 – Maths (AM only)
19. 26 May 2018 – Maths (AM only)
20. 2 June 2018 – English (AM only)
21. 9 June 2018 – Maths (AM only)
Mentors still needed! Choose your sessions HERE
1 week left to get your FREE Mentor dinner ticket
…from 1 May tickets will be £10pp
Please join us for our Annual One Degree Dinner on the Thursday, 7th June from 1830 at Hungry Donkey in Aldgate for our annual Volunteer Dinner.
- Date – Thursday, 7th June 2018
- Time – 1830 for 1900 – 2130/2200
- Venue – Hungry Donkey, 56 Wentworth St, London, E1 7AL
- Cost – Free booking before 1 May. Thereafter, £10 pp
- Booking – As a small charity with limited funds, we need to book your place to guarantee a night of fun!
Last chance to get your free dinner ticket HERE
This Sunday, 29th April will be the first of a series of #SciFiSunday sessions at Boondocks hosted by writer, director and producer Jade Syed-Bokari. #SciFiSunday will kick off with winner of best feature film Sci-Fi London Film Festival, winner of the audience award best feature narrative San Francisco – SFIndiefest. A film the Hollywood Reporter said was “Powerful…a fascinating saga… Superbly executed, surprisingly ambitious….and looks smashing on a big screen”.
Here are the details:
- Date – Sunday, 29th April 2018
- Time – 1730 for 1800
- Venue – Boondocks, 205 City Rd, Hoxton, London EC1V 1JN
- #SciFiSunday schedule – Rare screening of Ever Since the World Ended
- Tickets – Get your £5 tickets here (this includes a donation to One Degree)
- More details – Have a look @SciFiSundayLondon
Get your #SciFiSunday tickets HERE
Youth summer workshops
Our interns Jasmine and Jabba will be running a series of summer workshops in 13-17 August 2018. If you would like to offer your services during August by way of job shadows, work experience, internships, career mentoring or being a guest speaker during our workshops in a specific field or profession please contact Jasmine on [email protected].
We are currently findraising for this via our Summer Give in which we need to raise another £500 to qualify for matched funding.
Make a Summer Workshops pledge HERE
Hult Business School TEDx event
- Background – Hult International Business school is all about a growth mindset and with the theme of 2018 being the ‘year of positive impact’.
- Theme – The mindset that we have at any given moment influences how we act, react and make decisions. Yet, with a slight change in mindset, our perspectives and outlook on an issue can completely change.
- Date & time – 1230 to 1900, 28 April 2018
- Venue – The Cheesegrater, The Leadenhall Building, 122 Leadenhall St, London, EC3V 4AB
- Speakers – 11 inspiring speakers in two sessions with a musical performance and feature recorded TED talks in between.
- Tickets – use the code OneDegree and get a 5% discount here
- Sponsorship & branding – Are you interested in sponsoring our event? Please get in touch with Rogier van Putten via [email protected].
Student art auction
Here is how you can get involved:
- Choose – choose your favourite piece of student art work
- Bid – place your bid price along with a comment on which piece you are bidding on (numbered 1 to 6)
- Receive – The highest bidder will receive the artwork at the close of the auction
Ceramic taster sessions
If you are interested in attending the ceramics taster session on the 23rd May, please go here.
If you are interested in attending the ceramics taster session on the 30th May, please go here.
One Degree Events Guide
With so many exciting events and prtnerships now available, please visit our seperate guide to all of our upcoming events here.
Alumni needed for new One Degree film
If you are a past One Degree students and would like to participate in our new One Degree film please get in touch with us for more information.
Schedule your One Degree interview by emailing Roger on [email protected]