Job Title Development Board Member
Reporting to CEO
Sector Youth education charity
One Degree mentors and empowers GCSE students from disadvantaged backgrounds by developing their self-belief and transforming their academic performance.
Our annual 25 session inspirational boot camps have transformed the lives of 378 students in London since 2009. We have attracted over 200 volunteer mentors from diverse professional backgrounds including Banking & Finance, Media, Law, Medicine, Engineering and IT to volunteer their time to successfully mentor our students.
One Degree is now looking to recruit a key member of our development board – a part-time, enthusiastic and passionate member, who with the help of their fellow development board members and the charity achieve objectives set by the trustee board and CEO. This role is ideal for someone who does not have the time to commit to a trustee board however would still like to positively steer a charity towards its objectives.
Senior Development Board Member: We are particularly looking for individuals with a professional background in any or all of the following areas:
- GCSE education within the UK
- Youth psychology around motivation and inspiration
- Private donor or philanthropy networks
- Marketing, PR and events for charities
- Alumni engagement
Junior Development Board Member: An opportunity is available for a past student of One Degree to join our trustee board. This student would need to have an interest in the following:
- Using his/her experience from the One Degree programme to improve the student experience
- Creating an inspiring and aspirational programme for new students
- Representing the trustee board during the programme
- Improving One Degree and youth education within the charity sector
Trustees will be expected to take a full and active role on the Board and participate in the activities of the One Degree. All trustees are expected to assist the team to secure a sustainable and diverse funding base for the organisation. The ideal candidate will have innovative ideas and be able to think creatively to utilise our resources in the most effective way.
Successful applicants will be expected to have:
- A belief in the vision, mission and values of the One Degree
- The time and commitment to fully contribute to the governance and strategic role of the Board (attending quarterly meetings for a minimum of a one year commitment)
- The ability to attend quarterly board meetings (held in London), and possibly sub-committee meetings when required
- A positive approach and be open-minded
- *Strong networking capabilities (including new high-worth supporters and corporate contacts)
- *The ability to mobilise support, including through public speaking and presentations (desirable but not essential)
- A passion for team working, problem solving, decision making and asking difficult questions
- Proven success in marketing, PR, fundraising and/or youth education
*Not expected of a Junior Development Board applicant.
Benefits to a Development Board Member:
- Experience of developing charity strategies
- Networking with passionate and influential professionals
- Developing new skills in fundraising, marketing and education
- Making a real difference in youth education in London
Please fill out the below form in you are interested: