Job Title Trustee
Reporting to Chair of Trustees
Sector Youth education charity
One Degree mentors and empowers GCSE students from disadvantaged backgrounds by developing their self-belief and transforming their academic performance.
Our annual 25 session inspirational boot camps have transformed the lives of 378 students in London since 2009. We have attracted over 200 volunteer mentors from diverse professional backgrounds including Banking & Finance, Media, Law, Medicine, Engineering and IT to volunteer their time to successfully mentor our students.
One Degree is now looking to recruit a key member of our trustee board – a part-time, enthusiastic and passionate member, who with the help of their fellow trustees, will guide the charity’s strategy and objectives with an aim of becoming well placed in some of London’s struggling schools and boroughs.
Senior Trustee: We are particularly looking for individuals with a professional background in any or all of the following areas:
- GCSE education within the UK
- Youth psychology around motivation and inspiration
- Private donor or philanthropy networks
- Marketing, PR and events for charities
Junior Trustee: An opportunity is available for a past student of One Degree to join our trustee board. This student would need to have an interest in the following:
- Using his/her experience from the One Degree programme to improve the student experience
- Creating an inspiring and aspirational programme for new students
- Representing the trustee board during the programme
- Improving One Degree and youth education within the charity sector
Trustees will be expected to take a full and active role on the Board and participate in the activities of the One Degree. All trustees are expected to assist the team to secure a sustainable and diverse funding base for the organisation. The ideal candidate will have innovative ideas and be able to think creatively to utilise our resources in the most effective way.
Successful applicants will be expected to have:
- A belief in the vision, mission and values of the One Degree
- The time and commitment to fully contribute to the governance and strategic role of the Board (preferably a minimum of 9-12 hours per month)
- The ability to attend quarterly board meetings (held in London), and possibly sub-committee meetings when required
- A positive approach and be open-minded
- *Strong networking capabilities (including new high-worth supporters and corporate contacts)
- *The ability to mobilise support, including through public speaking and presentations (desirable but not essential)
- A passion for team working, problem solving, decision making and asking difficult questions
- *Experience in the charitable sector or as part of a trustee board (desirable but not essential)
- *Experience in working with vulnerable children (desirable but not essential)
*Not expected of a Junior Trustee applicant.
For more details on the benefits of being a trustee read the Small Charities Coalition article here.